Monday, April 04, 2005

Amanuensis.

Bismi'llah ar-Rahman ar-Rahim...for the sake of Prophet Muhammad saws and Sheikh Nazim may Allah protect his secret.

Word of the Day for Monday April 4, 2005
amanuensis \un-man-yoo-EN-sis\, noun; plural amanuenses, \-seez\:A person employed to take dictation or to copy manuscripts.
The chore of actually writing the words in the end fell to a hand-picked amanuensis. --Austin Baer, "River of Desire," Atlantic, October 1996
On this blue day, I want to benothing more than an amanuensis to the birds, transcribing all the bits and snatches of song riding in on the wind. --Barbara Crooker, "Transcription (Poem)," Midwest Quarterly, March 22, 2003
When it comes to literature, the French count the largest number of Nobel Prizes; their authors include one who wrote a whole book without using the letter `e' and another who, suffering from `locked-in syndrome' after a severe stroke, dictated a memoir by blinking his eye as an amanuensis read through the alphabet. --Jonathan Fenby, France on the Brink
Amanuensis comes from Latin, from the phrase (servus) a manu, "slave with handwriting duties," from a, ab, "by" + manu, from manus, "hand."
Dictionary.com Entry and Pronunciation for amanuensis

There you go then,... trying to find more work as a translator from Spanish to English,using the internet. (To be honest I think I've got a snowball's chance in hell .. but well ..what else am I going to do to try to help out our economy and take some weight off Bilquis's shoulders?) On my side I have the fact that I'm and English native speaker and can speak Spanish fluently,with twenty years of experience of communication in a social and working environment in Spain.Against me I have the fact that I have no formal qualifications and no experience! Except the article that I've just finished for Destinosur.
Hey ho,life goes on.
Just put a nice bit about the word "amanuensis" at the beginning of this post but something about the html is unacceptable.However I've traced the bad bit (an unclosed tag) and eliminated it as it seemed unnecessary (perhaps pertaining to something that I had already deleted) and now it's been accepted.
We are in the month of Safar Islamically speaking,and it is the worst month of the year with least blessing(the opposite of Ramadan really) and on the last wednesday apparently 700,00 curses come down. Life is life and He is the boss.
I keep trying to remain positive and think in a positive way.No matter how many times I fall in all my old negativity traps and patterns I know that any little bit of positivity helps.
Maybe one of these agencies will send me something.A sign of what I am talking about is the new growth on the plants outside in the garden as a result of the pruning which I did earlier this year, just before all the awful frosts and snows hit us.
I am sure EFT is helping me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home